Author Topic: Free Vend Instructions - Dixie Narco  (Read 7157 times)

KEB

• http://www.resourcecad.com
Free Vend Instructions - Dixie Narco
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
Older Dixie Narco units utilized an adaptable vend relay.

NOTE: BEFORE WORKING ON ANY ELECTRICAL COMPONENT, ENSURE THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE POWER SOURCE.
These modifications will not require the use of the coin mechanism, so the first step is to unplug the coin mechanism. DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN. You can leave it in place in the machine in the event you wish to convert it back to pay.

There are 2 specific types of relays that I will address here, the first is the open type 6-select vend relay.

On this relay, look at the wiring harness (if you have the original) and you will find a wire identified with the numbers G37/G18 ... unplug this wire and tape the end up to prevent shorting out against the cabinet. Facing the terminals, it should be located on the very top, left terminal.(HINT: The terminals with the smallest gap between them are the top terminals).

Ok, you have unplugged the G37/G18 wire and made it safe. Now, locate the G11 wire, it should be on the second pin (top to bottom) in the right column. Unplug it and plug it on the terminal where G37/G18 WAS plugged.

Plug the machine into a power source and you should now have free vend set. Reverse the procedure to put it back into pay mode.

The second type of relay is used on both 5-select and 6-select machines and is the one common to Dixie Narco 240/138-6. It is identified by having a clear plastic case covering the entire relay.

As with previously, ensure the unit is unplugged from the power source and the coin mechanism is unplugged.
Carefully remove the vend relay from the socket. It may be stubborn or it may appear as though the socket is part of the relay. Carefully rock it back and forth and it should come out of the socket. If it is really stubborn, you may want to remove the 2 screws holding the socket in place and then carefully pry the socket from the relay using a small screwdriver. Remember, if you damage the relay or socket, it may not work properly or at all.

Ok, great ... now you have the relay unplugged. You will need a paper clip that has been straightened out or a stiff piece of wire for the next step. A safety pin will work too.

Find the wire identified as 71. It should be in the bottom left terminal of the socket. From the socket side of the terminal body, insert your paperclip into the small notch under the terminal. carefully apply a little bit of downward pressure while pulling on the wire. The paper clip will disengauge the terminal lock and allow the wire terminal to be removed easily from the socket. After removing wire 71, make it safe by taping it to prevent shorting.

Next, find wire 10, remove it in the same manner as you did wire 71. Place it back into the socket where you removed wire 71. Plug in the vend relay and plug the machine into the power source. You will now have free vend.

I've attached drawings of both of the relays for easy identification.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by KEB »

TripleThreat

Re: Free Vend Instructions - Dixie Narco
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
I just wanted to share a thank you for this.  My family has a farm in Northwest Iowa.  Last summer a tornado tore through the farm and destroyed ALL the farm buildings.  Inside one of the barns was a 1978 Dixie Narco Dr. Pepper machine.  The machine was picked up by the tornado and thrown several hundred yards across the farm and ended up face down in the yard.  While cleaning up the tornado debris we came across the machine.  I thought there was no way it would still work but sure enough after plugging it in Ill be darned if the machine didn't fire right up.  This tornado caused a nightmare for our family as we still fight with the insurance company for payments and work at rebuilding the farm.  One of my side projects to give to my father was to rebuild the pop machine.  I had gotten everything done on it and the last piece was the coin mech.  I couldnt get it to work and it was just destroyed.  Funds are a little low so I was worried about buying a new one.  Then I stumbled across this forum and this post on how to set the machine to free and by pass the coin mech.  Well I am proud to say that tonight I completed the bypass and for the first time since the tornado the pop machine vended its first pop!!  I just wanted to set up an account and make sure to say thank you again.  You taking the time couple minutes to share with everyone really has impacted a life.  I can not tell you how much my father is going to love getting this back.  After losing everything in a tornado its the small things in life that you learn to cherish.  So thank you again for helping make an old farmer a happy man again.  Thanks and god bless to everyone on here!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

KEB

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
Its been a while since I have been here .. so that is the reason for the lagged reply ... I am so happy to have been able to provide assistance .. I hope your machine is still in working condition and is being enjoyed by your father.

owtlawatv

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »
i have the 240/138-6 machine

it is in free vend mode and does not have a coin mech.
no wires are disconnected from the relay.

how is this machine free vending?

KEB

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »
it could be that the wires that are supposed to be disconnected from the relay have been plugged into the unused conectors on the relay.

owtlawatv

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »
Quote from: "KEB"
it could be that the wires that are supposed to be disconnected from the relay have been plugged into the unused conectors on the relay.

Thank you for the reply. I will look into this further....
I am a total newb at soda machines.
I received a Dixie Narco 240/138-6, which is the DR Pepper version of this machine.
It did not come with a coin mech though... trying to find one...

KEB

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
By following the wiring diagram above and making sure all of the wires are connected properly, you should be able to plug in the coin mech and make it require coins. Of course, if this was modified by another person who did not use the manufacturer specifications for free vend (that is what I provided in the first post of this thread) then they could have done it another way. That would be nearly impossible to tell without examining the wiring diagram and the wiring in your unit.

Good luck with you search, those coin mechs can be hard to get, although there are some available around the internet.

For the DN 240/138-6 the coin mech is a CoinCo .. don't know the exact model though, there are a few revisions on the main board but there shouldn't be any huge problems using them.

homergonerson

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Worked great on my DN 180CC/105-5, thanks for saving me $50!

computermaniac78

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I have a Dixie Narco DN-180-5 and was wondering how to change how much it costs to vend.  It is set to like 10 cents now and I would like to change that.  Please let me know!  Also, will this machine return any coins or just certain ones like dimes and nickels. (Or does it return dimes, nickels and quarters?)  Thanks!!

KEB

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 03:24:02 PM »
The free vend instructions in the first post may work on the 180-5 machine if the relay is the same type. Considering the various number of vending machine models out there, the free vend hack may or may not work on any particular model. You would have to verify the relay type and coin mechanism type.

On the older CoinCo mechanisms, depending upon the model, you can set the price from 0.05 to 2.75

Mike2011

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
Thank you so much, It worked great and saved me $50 on my DN320!!

However, now it will not stop vending until the unit is unplugged... Is there a connection and any ideas on what to do?

-Mike

KEB

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:57:21 PM »
The wiring changes are directly from the service manual for the Disie Narco machine. Here are a few things to check

1) Did you disconnect the coin mech. and leave it disconnected?
2) Did you make sure the correct wires were switched and/or disconnected? The relay is sometimes not clearly marked.
3) Are the cams working correctly on the columns? The relay is supposed to engage the cam motor long enough to engage the cam switch. Once that switch is opened, the cam motor should stop turning.
4) Dis the machine work correctly using the coin mech.?
5) Can you verify the relay isn't defective?
6) Are the unattached wires (if any) grounded? This may cause an inadvertent problem.

Basically without actually looking at the machine in question, it would be really difficult to diagnose the problem, but these ideas may give you a direction to look.

Mike2011

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks for a direction to start looking for the problem.

The coin mech did not work...  and how can I tell if the relay is bad?

- mike

KEB

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
The only way I know of is either direct replacement or by using a working coin mech.

mattyb

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
This post lets me know I'm on the right track, but i have  a dixie narco 8 select and when i followed these instructions i cant find the wire 71- the clear relay is an Essex 93-201666-23200A and the female portion where the 71 is swapped out for the # 10 doesn't have a 71 on it- Im hoping its a similar switch, but didn't want to guess and be wrong, possibly damaging the machine- any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
ms